Work with us
If you’re passionate about history and historical fiction and want to be part of a growing business, then we would love to hear from you. Specific opportunities are listed below. All positions are offered on a freelance basis unless otherwise stated. You must be a UK resident in order to apply.
To enquire about a position, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Freelance Creative Writing Tutor
The History Quill is a specialist provider of creative writing and editorial services to historical fiction writers. We’re looking for a remote, freelance creative writing tutor to work online with our clients on our ‘Get started in historical fiction’ writing workshops, starting mid-June. They should have expertise in creative writing, with knowledge of the historical fiction genre.
- Taking on a list of our clients for our ‘Get started in historical fiction’ workshop series and providing written feedback on weekly assignments covering different aspects of creative writing that they will submit to you.
- Answering any questions that the clients may have during the workshops.
Competencies and experience
- Expertise in creative writing, whether from an academic, editorial, or publishing background.
- Strong organisational skills, allowing you to keep track of the clients and the deadlines.
- Knowledge of the historical fiction genre.
This is a freelance role. The pay rate is £170 per client, per workshop, which is roughly the equivalent of £30 per hour.
The workshops will run from mid-June until early-mid December, with a gap in August. This role should take up no more than 6–8 hours per week, depending on the number of clients you wish to take on.
This is a remote position and can be done from home, but candidates must be resident in the UK.
Applicants must submit a CV and cover note to Andrew Noakes at email@example.com. The cover note should outline your suitability for the position. The application deadline is 21 May, 23:59 BST, but we reserve the right to withdraw this vacancy before the official deadline if a sufficient number of qualified candidates apply.